Monday, March 11, 2013

STYLE FILE: Crystal Wood

It is my pleasure to introduce Ms. Crystal Wood as our very first local fashion icon featured on this blog. I find her eclectic, accessories-driven outfits totally inspiring. Upon initial observation, it may seem that Crystal's style is inaccessible, too editorial (never mind that she is standing outside of Ottawa Tavern on a Saturday night and not on a runway). However, if you look closely, you can see there is a heart beating underneath all those feathers, denim and sparkle. Girl has a sense of humor, even though it may be art-inspired. Check out her fantastic wardrobe and see how you can get a piece of the action below!

xoxo,
Jordan



Tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm most importantly a poet and a hopeless romantic. From this, the rest of my being blossoms. I graduated college with a Bachelors in Art this past year and now have no idea what to do with it. I'm currently living in Nashville and trying to figure out where and what I'm supposed to be doing. Other than that, I'm slightly reserved due to the mass amount of things constantly processing through my head. Also I'm a big dreamer to the point at times it's almost paralyzing.

Define your personal style.
My personal style is definitely an eclectic mix of things. I'm inspired by prints and color and playing with slightly off-kilter mixes of the two. I adore playing with layers and using sheer fabrics to create illusion and romanticism in my looks. I'm definitely a jewelry collector and have jewelry I've acquired from India, China and Afghanistan. I'm into jewelry that are statement pieces and conversation starters. No outfit is complete without the proper accessories. And hats! More people should wear them. It's hard to truly describe my style for each day I'm trying something new and mixing it up.



What inspires you to dress the way you do?
I'm an artist and I see it as another form of art and self-expression. Fashion gives you the ability to speak several different things to people simply by them looking at you. You can get a small understanding of a person by their clothes before they even open their mouths.

Who is your all-time favorite designer and why?
A hard one. I'd probably have to say Lanvin. His aesthetic reminds me of a dark romantic spirit with an eye for expensive vintage pieces and exquisite jewelry. I think that sums me up.

How do you "recycle" clothes in your wardrobe to create new ensembles?
Layers! Instead of simply wearing a blouse over a pair of pants, put it under a dress for a completely different spin, wear a short dress over a longer one peeking out from the bottom, etc.


What's your five-year plan, career-wise?
I barely know my plan for this week so thinking of 5 years in advance is hard for me. I want to model but what fashion enthusiast doesn't? I want to publish a book of poems, but what aspiring writer doesn't? I'm not extremely career-minded as much as I am one to just stumble into things and see what happens. That might be a problem in the future. I'd love for my end game to take me to be some sort of Creative Director or Stylist someday.


GET CRYSTAL'S LOOK



1. Ponte pleated jumpsuit   www.ardenb.com   $69.00
2. Feather cape shawl   ebay.com   $38.00
3. Watercolor Camisole Empire Cascade Dress   dancersapparel.com  $108.00
4. Beaded Bib Necklace   www.etsy.com  $27.00
5. Denim Vest  www.ae.com   $49.95
6. Kimchee Blue Boot  www.urbanoutfitters.com  $85.00
7. Zippered Faux Leather Leggings   www.forever21.com  $27.80
8. Purple Turban   www.rakuten.com  $9.99
9. Straw Hat   www.e4hats.com  $31.99
10. Vintage Peacock Sweater  www.etsy.com $52.00

No comments:

Post a Comment