Friday, March 22, 2013

On My Radar: Home Edition

It was suggested to me that I write about interview attire this week, since I've had two interviews in two days...but I'm really not an expert on the subject. I wore a cardigan instead of a blazer, which shows employers I'M A RISK-TAKER–WATCH OUT!

Instead, I'm pulling from my home decor radar. We moved into our apartment in the Old West End last July and I have yet to really decorate anything. I've put some things up here and there, but it remains largely unfinished...and now it feels too late. Or does it? We were considering moving, but now we're reconsidering. Immediately my brain said, "NOW THERE'S MORE TIME!"

In the spirit of Swap (and it the spirit of my own cheapness), most of this stuff comes from repurposed or "upcycled" items. (Note: some of this stuff has been saved on my computer for some time, so I'm sorry I don't have any image sources. I can tell you they mostly came from Tumblr.)

MOVING ON.



I love the idea of repurposed items. How cool is some of this stuff?! Imagine walking into someone's living room and seeing a shelving space made entirely of coffee tables cut in half. Whether they're bright purple or their original wood stain, you'd still take notice. Similarly, the idea of turning a chair upside down to make a towel rack for the bathroom is genius. The easiest of these projects would have to be the trophy topper coat rack. I'm sure area thrift stores have plenty of trophies for various accomplishments (I've definitely seen a homemade one for someone who quit smoking...); simply dismount and remount! Now you've got your own set of trophies congratulating you on your sweet, new pad!



Displaying cool stuff is always important– Duh! I like these ideas because they think outside the frame (har-dee-har-har) a bit. The idea of building a frame to freely hang a lot of posters and pictures is different and minimizes holes being put into the walls, which is great if you're living in a rented space like an apartment. If you're someone who always has trouble finding frames the right size for your photos/art, the frame-string-and-clothespin option is a good one. Oh you don't have frames? How about some empty jars? This idea is really great because it gives you the option to recycle something we regularly get from the grocery store and, like frames, they come in many different shapes and sizes.

Lastly, here's some plain ol' decor I've taken a fancy to recently (DIY-able, of course!)



On the left is a mini hanging garden made from polymer clay, string, and plants. I've just begun collecting colored glass, so I really love the way this looks. On the right is a collection of gold-dipped ceramics made with some painter's tape and gold spray paint. These would go great on a window sill holding plants or in an office holding your pens and pencils.

I'm getting really excited at the possibility of trying some of these things out. Maybe we'll stay here after all...

-Renee




1 comment:

  1. Gymnastics trophies would make great hangers! And that chair shelf is amazing!

    ReplyDelete