Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Coming to terms with "Pixie"

For this week's post I decided to step outside of my little bubble. Please forgive me for the indiscretion but when speaking on the matter of fashion, I must examine all facets of "style". That's where this week's post comes in. When putting together an outfit, sometimes the most essential parts of a "look" are, well, overlooked. HAIR. Sometimes, how you style your hair makes or breaks a look.

Here's where I get a little personal....

I have had short hair for the past 7+ years. It took me about 6 of those years, however, to fall in love, and become a short-haired person. I cut my hair off those many moons ago because I saw Sienna Miller's beautiful Factory Girl chop and HAD to have it. So I marched over to the salon, pulled out her photo and cringed as 16 inches of hair fell to the floor. I loved it, though, for about a month. Then, I felt the heartbreak of limited styles. So, almost immediately, I bought up vitamins, special shampoos, and I began the agonizing process of growing it out. Two years later, I fell in love with Natalie Portman's grown-out GI Jane look and once again, ventured to the salon, pulled out her picture, and watched as hair scattered at my feet. This time it look about three months, but I began dreaming of pony tails and long waves, and the versatility of long locks. I again started to grow it all out. It went on for years. I would get my hair to a bob, right past my chin, and then no sooner, fall in love with the next celebrity chop. I knew I wanted to be a short-haired girl but I also fought with the idea of being limited to simply having zero hair on my head. It took me twice as long to dress myself because everything I put on "looked better with a ponytail" or some other lame excuse. I started to fall out of love with the idea of "pixie".

Then, with the more recent rush of celebrity chops, I couldn't escape the pixie life calling my name. Everywhere I turned there was a beautiful crop calling my name, asking me to join their ranks. That's when I realized, I needed to fall in love and commit. But how? How not to be limited by two inches of hair? The answer was obvious...

A GREAT HAIRCUT!

..And I've had one ever since. I took the time to figure out something that allowed me to look different every day. I like to refer to it as a convertible cut. One day it's funky and flippy, the next it's side-parted and slicked down. There's a hairstyle to go with every day, and everything in my closet. My hair has become my best, and favorite accessory. 





And I have never looked back! (Although I will admit to the occasional dream where I have mermaid length hair and can't remember how to brush it, something I have not done in years). But the lesson learned, is through some trial and error, I've figured out what look makes me happy and works for me. On all accounts, but especially my hair. No more limits! My hair doesn't hold me back from being the fashionista I see when I close my eyes and imagine myself on this runway called "LIFE".

Swappers, how does your hair finish off your "look"? How does it change? How do you make it work for you and the look you'd like to have?

-g

No comments:

Post a Comment