Wednesday, April 17, 2013

So I creep, yeah, just creepin' on



There are many ways to find inspiration. For some, it's magazines or celebrity style. Others have more abstract ways of seeking ideas. They find inspiration in nature, in music, in any and everything. me, I'm different. The creep in me LOVES what social media has offered. I love finding inspiration in what other girls wear. I "stalk" friends I find to be stylish on Facebook to see what they're wearing out and about. Instagram is another great source I use. I search "hashtags" for girls with styles similar to mine.

At first, I thought I was being creepy. I was insecure about "friending" or "following" another girl because what would she think of me? Then, I realized what social media is. it's a public way of sharing parts of yourself. If they didn't want people seeing it, they wouldn't post it, or make it public. Social media is a way of advertising (for whatever reason) the things about yourself that you want people to know or see. So, I creep away. (SO I CREEP, YEAHHHHH. Thank you TLC)

I, in fact, have a folder on my Macbook labeled "inspiration". If I like your boots, necklace, or entire look, you get saved away in my folder.

Like these ladies...

On nights that I am simply out of ideas, I reference my folder. I also love to make a hobby out of my FOLDER OF WOMEN (cue cymbal crash). If I like an outfit, I'll write it down or screenshot it on my phone. If I don't already have the pieces to make it up in my wardrobe, I start a scavenger hunt for them at the local thrift stores. I often like to shop this way as sometimes the selection can be overwhelming.

Now for you less-creepy Swappers, there are sites that are made for this sort of thing. Chictopia and LookBook are sites designed to offer inspiration and advice on styles. All the pictures are user-submitted. THESE SITES are where I go nuts (sorry freak flag, you'll fly another day). You can search for particular clothing items and find billions (I might be exaggerating....maybe not) of examples of how to style them. When I pick something up, fall in love with it, but have no idea how I'm going to wear it, I find my answer here. I can look up a similar item and see how a girl all the way in Australia wore it. It's kind of nice knowing the huge fashion world can get personal, and even a little smaller. 

Here are some of the girls and outfits in my creep folder..





How do you Swappers feel about creeping? Where do you go to get your inspiration?

-g

No comments:

Post a Comment