Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bathing Betties

First let me apologize for being a day late in posting. This week has been a crazy one, schedule-wise, and I spent all yesterday thinking it was Tuesday. My deepest condolences. The good news is, you'll get two posts in a row.

Among running around and having no idea what day and time it is, a funny little thing has happened without me even noticing: SPRING HAS SPRUNG. With the changing season comes a changing wardrobe and the inspiration part of my brain (that is filled with a categorized rolodex of this spring's hottest trends mixed in with some vintage love) is going haywire. All I can think about is what I want to shimmy onto my body when I go playing in the sun, and for some reason all I can think about are BATHING SUITS (It's only spring, Ginger! Let's not get ahead of ourselves!). That being said, more specifically I cant get VINTAGE BATHING SUITS out of my head.





LOOK HOW MUCH FUN EVERYONE IS HAVING! And they look so good doing it!

All this being said, vintage bathing suits are a hard thing to come by. Sure, on rare occasion you find one at your local thrift store, but lord knows what condition it's in and who's bottom has seen it. And now with the greatness of the internet, I can point and click, and have a vintage-inspired beauty mailed to me in 5-7 business days from great places like ASOS.

BUT...

There is something greater existing out there. It goes by the name of Etsy. There, you can hatch up your own idea (or one that's created for you) and some talented seamstress from who know's where will sew one right up. Even some digs that look straight out of your grandma's photo books. 

For example, there is a beautiful betty that I found on Instagram that goes by The Sailor Siren who makes her own vintage-inspired suits. You can request fabrics and styles and sizes or you can order some of her pre-made stuff.  She makes it so easy to transform a lay-out session in your backyard into a pin-up photoshoot. Check her out! Check everything on Etsy out! Why not?

And personally, when summer comes, don't be surprised if you see me at Kroger rocking a vintage one-piece like it's a romper. I WON'T WANT TO TAKE THEM OFF.

Swappers, what about spring inspires you? Who's your favorite pin-up lady?

-g

No comments:

Post a Comment