Friday, April 5, 2013

On My Radar

Here's a hint: IT'S PATTERNS!

Every now and again patterns come leaping into my life. Not that they ever left, but sometimes I'm more open to them than other times. They can go anywhere!

I think my love affair with patterns began when my sister Rebecca first began thrift shopping. She came home with some of the most amazing things (I guess you could say this was before thrifting was "cool"), but I distinctly remember two pairs of flared pants: one pair was a knit material colored with all kinds of yellows, oranges and browns; the other pair was probably some kind of polyester blend of kelly green, white, and navy plaid. Man, do I wish I had photos of those.

A few years ago, Rumi Neely posted this photo on her blog fashiontoast. Two things happened: (1) I fell in love with those shorts, and (2) I immediately thought back to my sister's pants.


I've been on the look out for bad polyester 70's pants to make these sweet shorts ever since. Of course now stuff like this is on racks everywhere. I'm still determined.

Fast forward a few years to Black Friday 2012. My mom and I were at Kohl's when she picked out a pair of brown and black houndstooth corduroy skinnies. I was hesitant because I didn't think they were very "me" at the time. They're my favorite pants now. That same day I picked out a black sweater with white stars to go with it (worn over a blue chambray button down). If you're keeping track, that's TWO patterns worn at the same time. It's possible!



 Another way to integrate patterns into an outfit, as Dorian (a man!) mentioned in Jordan's post, is socks. Secret: I can probably count the number of white socks I've ever owned on my two hands. That's not to say that they've all been terribly chic (R.I.P. Gingerbread man socks), I have just always liked fun socks better. Socks are a good way to add some fun to a suit or just under a pair of jeans. I picked out these men's styles from Target and Urban Outfitters.

Top: Target
Bottom: Urban Outfitters
I'm going to end this with a dress that I am completely LUSTING over. I saw it at JC Penney yesterday (man, lotta mainstream stores in here today).

L'amour by Nanette Lepore for JCP

JUST LOOK AT IT. I think what I like most about it is that it reminds me of some of the ill-fitting psychedelic stuff you sometimes see while thrifting. So often I see old patterns I love, but can't figure out what I could possibly do with them (and I'm a crafty mofo). More importantly, it brings me once again back to my sister's thrifting days. 

The dress is only $30, but I'm holding out for it to go on sale, SO NOBODY BUY IT, OKAY?

Whew. 

Happy patterning to all, and to all a good Friday night. 
(Sorry. That was cheesy. Enjoy your weekend, Toledo.)

-Renee


1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Becca has pictures of those pants. EVERYBODY loved those pants!

    ReplyDelete