Friday, April 26, 2013

On My Swapdar

See what I did there?
...Meh.

Anyway! Welcome to another Friday!
SWAP Toledo is gearing up for another exciting Swap Meet, meeting every week to discuss our exciting plan. Since we're only 24 DAYS AWAY (omg!), we've decided to start sharing just some of the stuff we're planning on swapping.

Our very first swap was attended by just about 8 ladies, all looking to find some new duds. My favorite part about this was that we each got to talk about the pieces we brought. I know, I know, that seems so cheesy and like, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, or something...but it was so interesting to find out how much these women still cared about the clothes they were trading away. It's important not to think of the swap as just a way to get rid of some old stuff, but more as a way to give good clothes new homes.

So here's a little bit about the stuff I'll be re-homing:


I bought this maxi dress several years ago and have only worn it twice. I always get so many compliments on it, but it it rarely sees the light of day. Someone please make this see the light of day.
Here, I've paired it with two necklaces that, when layered, make a glamourous, dramatic statement. I wore this combo to a "fancy" party once and felt like old Hollywood all night.

Layered necklaces, up close.
Shirt: NFS (Not For Swapping) ;)

These next two pieces weren't meant to go together, but they happened to match:



I found both of these pieces at thrift stores. I had major plans to alter the patterned shirt (which is actually a men's large) into who-knows-what, but never got around to it. I'm hoping a cool dude will sport it OR someone else will see a wealth of possibilities in it. The skirt, however, I did get around to altering. When I originally bought it, it was knee length, but I shortened it to a mini skirt. Unfortunately for me, it's a little bit too mini (read: I got too much junk in da trunk fo' dis). For future owners: my favorite way to wear this skirt was with my raddest of T-shirts.

So what am I looking for? Well, let's see:

I know we're focusing on spring and summer, so turtlenecks seem a little out of place, BUT I've been seeing some really great sleeveless cropped turtlenecks around the 'net, and you know how much I love my DIY projects. What you may not know is how much I love a good vintage tee. My two current favorites are a TGIFriday's Saint Patrick's Day shirt from 1982 and a tan shirt that says POPESTOCK '79 across the front with John Paul II on the back (not sure if that's actually vintage). Lastly, I mentioned my affinity for layering necklaces. If done right, you can create a real area of interest in an otherwise plain outfit...and people will think you're so clever when you tell them it's actually two necklaces! Trust me on this one.

Well that's that! Start gettin' your swap piles together, Toledo! May 19th is swiftly approaching and you won't want to miss out on this.

-Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment