Tuesday, May 14, 2013

STYLE FILE: Angela Perley


Good afternoon, SWAPpers :)

Introducing Angela Perley, who will be performing at Toledo's Swap Meet 2! The gals and I went through a list of about 27 musical acts and this lady charmed the sequined pants right off us! Upon further investigation (read: Facebook stalking), I realized that Ms. Perley has a definitive personal style: country nerd chic. But don't let that fool you. She's no hick wallflower! Angela Perley performs with her band, the Howlin' Moons, and they released a 5-song EP titled Nowhere is Now Here in late 2012. Download it HERE on iTunes! We fell in love with the scrappy vocals she contributed to the more up-tempo numbers (a hint of Wanda Jackson!) and swooned over her sultry ballads, too.

We caught up with Angela Perley to get her take on what it's like to be a fashion-conscious country girl on tour. We're SO looking forward to hosting her at Swap Meet 2 on May 19th at Ottawa Tavern!!!

xoxo,
Jordan 

P.S. All images c/o Angela Perley's Facebook page.

Define your personal style.
My personal style is a mixture of girly, western, and rock and roll. I wear a lot of florals, prints, fringe, fedora hats, boots, and curls. I've been on a floral crown kick lately too-they add great height and color and are lighter than a hat to wear in the spring and summer.



How do you typically shop for/find new additions to your wardrobe?
I do most of my shopping at vintage, antique, and thrift stores. I always seem to find some hidden and unique gems.




What do you love to wear when you perform on tour?
The easiest thing for me to wear on tour are fit and flare comfy dresses, boots, hats, and sunglasses to hide the lack of sleep I've been getting. Usually picking out clothes that don't wrinkle too much is good because I can just cram them in my suitcase and not have to worry about having to iron or to spray wrinkle releaser on them (always seems just to make big wet circles on clothes when I try that stuff). I have a leather red fringe coat that is my favorite too- perfect for chilly evenings and light enough for day wear.



Your sound has been described as "back porch rock" and "book-ish". Does this inform your style? Have any musicians influenced what you wear?
I guess you could say that it does cross over into my style being a mixture of those elements as well. I sometimes break out my 1960's cat eye glasses- I like how they make me see clearer and how they add a little librarian touch...makes my eyes feel perky and cat-like which I dig. I love 1950's-70's country and rock music so I'm sure in a way I have probably been influenced a lot by Patsy, Loretta, Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Wanda Jackson and all those artists' unique styles- mixture of classic and rock 'n' roller.



Have you ever been to a clothing swap? What do you hope to find at Toledo's Swap Meet 2?
This will be my first clothing swap! I have always heard of them but haven't had a chance to go to one yet so I am really looking forward to this one. I'm on the hunt for some sweet cut off shorts, vintage tees, and perhaps a comfy sundress.




No comments:

Post a Comment