Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscar Gowns: Successes, Hot Messes and the Look for Less...er.


Good afternoon, SWAPpers:

I woke up this morning, prepared to post a well-rounded style account of handsome DJ, musician, producer and man-about-town Mark Ronson (that’ll have to wait till NEXT week), when I realized that something was terribly wrong.

Then it dawned on me:  before I started drinking all that red wine, I was kvetching and kvelling over red carpet dresses donned by all who attended a little event called THE ACADEMY AWARDS last night.

Let's re-cap the successes and the hot messes, shall we?

Left: Naomi Watts in Armani Prive
Clockwise: Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture; Halle Berry in Atelier Versace; Amy Adams in Oscar De La Renta;
Reese Witherspoon in Louis Vuitton; Sally Field in Valentino; and Stacy Kiebler in Naeem Khan. 

Who wore my favorite dress of the evening? Without a doubt, Naomi Watts! I'm a fan of the chrome
color and architecturally important cut-outs.


Left: Anne Hathaway in Prada
Clockwise: Brandi Glanville in her own Brand B design; Catherine Zeta Jones in Zuhair Murad;
Salma Hayek in Alexander McQueen; Kristen Stewart in Reem Acra; Kerry Washington in Miu Miu;
and Nicole Kidman in L'Wren Scott. 

Who wore my least favorite dress of the evening? The biggest disappointment was provided via Anne Hathaway's ill-fitting gown, which resembles a department store prom dress from the 1990's. 

Awards show fashion can be frustrating...especially when an actor or actress gets it all wrong. We're all aware of the extensive teams these people have in place to make sure they DON'T end up on the worst-dressed list. However, sometimes...it all comes together and a gown becomes legendary.

Whether or not you think it is ethical to wear designer replicas, imitations of past Academy Awards gowns are available to you to purchase online through thecelebritydresses.com for extremely affordable prices. How would you feel about replicating a dress you loved on the red carpet?



I asked myself: whose gown would I wear, if given the chance. The answer was simple: the Valentino Julia Roberts wore when she won the Oscar for best actress in "Erin Brockovich"!!! So timeless and chic.


I'd like to thank the Academy for facilitating such important fashion exposure...year after year! I hope y'all enjoyed the show :)

xoxo,
Jordan


1 comment:

  1. Zoe Saldana was my favorite. Reese Witherspoon's dress made her boobs look saggy. Anne Hathaway looked like a bridesmaid.

    ReplyDelete