Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Making Something out of nothing (for well,..nothing)

Hey dudes, ladies, and all you other folks, It's Ginger checking in on my designated Wednesday posting day.  As is it is my first post, let me give you a brief summary of what my little niche is here on this blog and an even briefer background on myself.

I grew up in a almost purely "sustainable living" household. I spent my childhood surrounded by antiques and beautiful hand-me-downs. Weekly trips to the Goodwill were common. So, now, as a young adult it is certainly not surprising that I continue to make weekly (probably more like biweekly..oop's) trips to the thrift store. Sustainability was bred into me, and I hate to toot my own horn, but I am so terribly good at it. ;)

So, as it would seem, my third of this blog is dedicated to thrifting; sustainable fashion on a budget and how to make it work for you. Every week I plan to show you how to take nothing and make it really something (for, practically nothing).

This week, I chose a polka dot dress I picked up at the Goodwill in the DeVeaux shopping center. At first it reminded me of something JC Penny would have mass-produced in the early 2000's, with its cap sleeves and ruched bodice, but then I saw it's potential to look very 60's housewive (something I am dying over right now) and I was smitten. Today, by adding a few accessories from my current wardrobe) I was able to take a piece from a old, exhausted trend, and make it look brand new. And for $15 (the price of my beloved combat boots)!

1. The dress, by itself.

2. I added opaque black tights, my trusty boots, and a skinny black belt to cinch the waist.


3. I then layered on a cropped, knit sweater and a jewel necklace under the collar.



TA-DA!


An outfit for under $20! The boots were $15 from Target. The necklace, also from Target, was a gift from my mom. The belt, I believe, came from another dress, and the sweater was stolen from my brother's closet a long time ago and snipped to a cropped length.

There you have it. A little CAN go a long way, especially when it comes to sustainable, second-hand fashion. I cannot wait to share some of the killer finds I've gotten with you guys! Make sure you check in Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for blog updates! AND MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR MAY 19TH!

<3 g

No comments:

Post a Comment