Friday, February 22, 2013

On My Radar

Welcome to Friday! I hope you're having a good one so far.

My name is Renee and each Friday I'll be bringing you a few things that are on my radar. Let's talk about me first though: I guess you could call me Swap*Toledo's H.D.I.C., which is to say Head Designer In Charge. I make all the fun visuals you've seen on our Facebook and wherever else. As far as my style goes, it's a little all over the place, but it's almost never conventional, especially on the weekends...thus, my Friday posts. Let's go!

ONE:  I'm going to start with something basic, which is lookbook.nu and The Sartorialist. These websites are dedicated to street fashion and personal style from all over the world. When I'm feeling uninspired or need a quick idea, these are the first places I go.



TWO:  Can I just tell you guys how much I heart Tavi Gevinson? I could probably make this whole post about her, but I won't. She's been a fashion blogger since she was 11 and is currently the 16-year-old founder/editor of Rookie, an online magazine geared toward teenage girls (which is also kind of cool for adults to read too–NO SHAME!). 

I wish I'd been this cool at 16.
Seriously, she's great:



THREE:  As Jordan mentioned on Monday, it's cold and stylish layering can be tricky. I found this picture awhile back and have been wanting to try it. Underneath their dresses, these models are wearing shrugs made from what looks like shredded nylon. This would be such an easy DIY project to upcycle an old pair of tights; just cut off the feet and wear the tights as sleeves! Okay, it might not be the warmest, but I think it's an interesting option. I love the grunginess of it paired with with the formality of the dresses. Certainly something to try in the future. 


FOUR:  If you liked Ginger's post, but don't have an interesting little statement necklace, here's another DIY project. This tutorial uses items from a hardware store to make interesting necklaces. I like them best under the collar, as shown, but I could also see some of these on a longer chain or even as part of a body chain.

My favorites are the two in the center.

FIVE:  HARNESSES, HARNESSES, HARNESSES! I'm obsessed with harnesses and I'm working on a way to make my own (see? DIY!). I'm all about this Prabal Gurung Fall/Winter 2013 collaboration with Zana Bayne Leather:

Left: A good mix of tough and classy
Right: A harness AND a peplum?! SO RIGHT NOW!
I love the way these harnesses look with the most girly or delicate of tops/dresses. They're like polar opposites, and yet they seem to work so well together. 


And there you have it! My first Friday post, and Swap's first week of posts! Here's to many more!

Enjoy your weekend, Toledo!
-Renee

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I might need to make one of these hardware necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Renee! Love the nylon sleeves!

    ReplyDelete